Monday, July 13, 2009

Wordless Wednesday: Three Babies and a Mom

I am instituting a new feature for the blog: Wordless Wednesdays.
Let's celebrate and commiserate adulthood in a narrative of photo memories.

Still need some inspiration? Our first photo comes to us from my dear friend Jenn. Jenn is mom to an adorable but extremely hyper-active 18 month old, and two precious 8 week old twins.

I give you, My Day: Three Babies and a Mom -- proving that a picture truly does say a thousand words.




Here is your challenge, my glorious readers: dig through old photo albums, old computer hard drives, old social networking site profile pictures and tell us a meaninful story in just one photo. Give it a name, or don't name it at all, and send it along to me at mara@welcometoadulthood.com.

Now looking at My Day, what kinds of things from this narrative speak to you? How amazing is this woman in the image?

To me this narrative reads as a woman who is strong, fecund, resourceful, and resilient. To me, this photo seems to celebrate the power of Mother, and also remind us that motherhood means being present for your children in every way: sacrificing your chin to feed your baby if need be, and sacrificing your sanity to make sure your children are happy, healthy, and loved. This picture, my friends, oozes love in a real, tangible, way. And I know, if I grew up and found a picture just like this of my mom, with me and my brother, I would feel something very powerful. I would think, wow, my mom gave me everything she had, and she was really somethin' special.

Let's talk about it! Send me any thoughts in the comments. All you mothers out there, does this inspire you? Or does it remind you how hard it can be sometimes to be a mommy? All you readers with no children, how does this make you feel? Does this scare you? All views are welcome here. Leave your thoughts in the comments.

(Photo courtesy of J.G.J.)

2 comments:

  1. I want to share this picture with a few of my friends who are eager to quit their jobs and become stay-at-home moms. This picture makes a desk job look like a vacation, doesn't it? Not that I don't want to stay at home with my kids if I can, but I think I have some awareness of the fact that it will be challenging and exhausting in completely new ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a juggling act! I don't have any children, but I am the proud mom of two 15 pound cats! LOL!

    I have enormous respect for this woman! I can't imagine that raising 3 young chldren is easy. No matter what anyone says, being a mother is a full-time job!

    ReplyDelete